The Ideal Solution
Femarelle® acts as a novel Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulator (SERM) that is effective in relieving menopausal symptoms and increasing bone mineral density (BMD).* Three out of four women report relief, with alleviation of hot flashes in 76%, relief of joint & muscle pain in 70% and relief of headaches in 68% (the main symptoms associated with the menopause transition).1 The effect of Femarelle® on the bone showed a statistically significant increase of 2.0% of BMD in the hip and 3.6% in the spine after 12 months of treatment.* These clinical results were achieved without causing changes in the hormonal blood profile and without leading to any change in endometrial thickness or other changes in the uterus. A study of its mechanism of action on BMD in human bone cultures showed that Femarelle® exhibits unique bone-forming properties by increasing bone formation through osteoblast activity.*2-5
In a human breast cancer tissue culture study, Femarelle® had no effect on breast cancer tissue.6
The unique combination of coumestans and lignans in Femarelle® represents a novel and effective solution. The selective mechanism of action of Femarelle® allows it to act as an agonist on the estrogen receptors and thus to exert a favorable effect on menopausal symptoms and BMD while having an antagonistic effect on the estrogen receptors in the breast and in the uterus.*7
Femarelle® is constantly being studied; the results are presented in leading medical conferences around the world and published in scientific and medical journals.
1. Yoles I. et al. Efficacy and safety of standard vs. low dose of Femarelle (Tofupill) for the treatment of menopausal symptoms. J. of Clinical & Experimental Obstetrics & Gynecology 2004; 31(2):123-26.
2. Yoles I. et al. Tofupill/Femarelle (DT56a) a new phyto-selective estrogen receptor modulator-like substance for the treatment of postmenopausal bone loss. Menopause 2003; 10(6):522-25.
3. Somjen D., Yoles I. DT56a (Femarelle/Tofupill), selectively stimulates creatine kinase specific activity in skeletal tissues of rats but not in the uterus. J. of Steroid Biochemistry & Molecular Biology 2003; 86(1):93-8.
4. Somjen D. et al. DT56a (Femarelle/Tofupill) stimulates bone formation in female rats. British J. of Obstetrics & Gynecology 2005; 112(7):981-5.
5. Somjen D. et al. DT56a stimulates gender-specific human cultured bone cells in vitro. J. of Steroid Biochemistry & Molecular Biology 2006; 98(1):90-6.
6. Yoles I. & Lilling G. Pharmacological doses of the natural phyto-SERM DT56a (Femarelle) have no effect on MCF-7 breast cancer cell-line. European J. of Obstetrics & Gynecology & Reproductive Biology 2007; 130(1):140-1.
7. Somjen D., Yoles I. DT56a (Femarelle): a natural selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM). J. of Steroid Biochemistry & Molecular Biology 2007; 104:252-8.